Debt Advice

It is extremely important that you do not ignore any correspondence in relation to your debt, by doing so you may be subject to diligence (enforcement action) which will incur fees increasing the amount of debt owed.

We have provided a list of frequently asked questions in relation to Council Tax arrears, should you not find what you’re looking for, please contact us as soon as possible.


What should I do if I disagree with the amount of Council Tax arrears being recovered?


If you have any dispute regarding the amount of arrears, the best advice we can give you is to get in touch with your local Council Tax office directly.


How can I make payment towards any arrears I have?


We can accept payments by cheque, postal order, debit/credit card, cash or standing order. Cheques and postal orders must be made payable to Charles Anderson. If you are sending payment by post and require a receipt, please enclose a S.A.E. with your payment. ALWAYS WRITE YOUR REFERENCE NUMBER ON CHEQUES AND POSTAL ORDERS AND NEVER SEND CASH PAYMENTS BY POST.


If I pay in full do I get a discount?


No. Charles Anderson are only agents acting on behalf of the Council and therefore do not set the Council Tax amount due. All arrears are determined by the Council


My bank account has been arrested – what does this mean?


You bank has placed all/part of your funds into a separate suspense account. The funds will remain here until you have signed a mandate authorizing the bank to release the arrested funds to us. Any surplus monies will be automatically released back into your account after you have signed and returned the mandate to us.


What should I do if I’m on benefits?


Documentary evidence of benefit should be sent to this office and an arrangement for payment made. If you are in receipt of Income Support, in some circumstances deductions can be made from benefit at source.


Can I pay off my arrears by installments?


Yes. However, we need an original copy of your wage slip as proof of your income before we can agree to any instalment arrangement. If you need this documentation returned to you don't forget to include a S.A.E.


I’m already paying off my arrears by an installment arrangement/wage arrestment and have received another demand, what happens now?


You must contact us immediately upon receipt of the new demand to arrange repayment. All new arrears require additional payments to be made. Failure to make contact will result in enforcement action against you.


My wages have been arrested – what does this mean?


Your employer has been served with an Earnings Arrestment which requires them by law to deduct from your wages on every payday a specified amount and forward to us. This will remain in place until the debt is paid in full.

If you are having difficulties paying your debt or wish to find out more information you should seek specialist advice. There are a number of independent agencies that could help you manage your money better. We have provided some useful links on our website to assist you in getting the help you need.

  • Society of Messengers-at-Arms and Sheriff Officers
  • North Lanarkshire Council
  • Money Advice Scotland
  • National Debt Line
  • Accountant in Bankruptcy
  • Scottish Court Service
  • Citizens Advice Scotland
  • Scottish Parliament
  • Scottish Government